Here are the 10 Interesting Facts About Pune:
1. “Pune” comes from the word “Punya”, which means the confluence of two rivers, as the city is situated on the confluence of the river Mula and river Mutha.
2. Pune is known as “The Queen of the Deccan”, “The Oxford of the East” and “Detroit of India”.
3. Pune has the highest number of software companies in India.
4. Pune has 21 engineering colleges, which is the highest in the world in a given city.
5. Many officers and defense personnel chose to retire in Pune because of its amazing climate which was called “Pensioner’s Paradise”.
6. Pune is the only city in the world to have commercial and defense airports operating from the same strip.
7. Pune has the highest number of pubs in Asia.
8. Pune is one of the major IT hubs of India and home to many web designing companies.
9. Pune sits on the earthquake-prone territory.
10. Pune is home to Iyengar Yoga (Yoga Master).