10 Interesting Facts About Goa
Share this post for good karma 😊
Goa is known as the “Fun Capital of India” is the smallest state of India by area which is situated in the western region of India with coastlines stretching along the Arabian Sea. It’s famous for its sandy beaches, nightlife, casino, and world heritage. If you are planning to visit then Goa is surely a once-in-a-lifetime experience for visiting tourists. Now, here are some interesting facts about Goa that the people might not know;
Interesting Facts About Goa
1. Goa is the richest state of India with the highest GDP per capita.
2. Goa is home to the non-decomposing body of Francis Xavier. He was the saint who spread the gospel in China. He died in Macau and his body was brought to Goa where his non-decomposing body is enshrined in the glass case and placed in the Basilica of Bom Jesus Church.
3. Goa is home to the “First Medical School” of India known as “Goa Medical College”.
4. Goa is the first state in India that hosts the “International Film Festival”.
5. Goa was ruled by the Portuguese for more than 4 centuries, until 1961, when the Indian Government began military operations resulting in the takeover of Goa.
6. In 1956, the first printing press of Asia was installed at St. Paul’s College in Goa.
7. People of Goa are called “Goan”.
8. Goan people can also apply and avail of a Portuguese passport along with the Indian Passport.
9. Goa is the only state of India with an active and imposed Uniform Civil code implemented by the Portuguese.
10. You can hire a two-wheeler taxi only in Goa and they are called “Pilots”.